Cedar Rapids Counseling & Psychotherapy Group, L.L.P.
One advantage of therapy is that it combines various skills and ideas to customize a treatment plan that addresses your unique needs. At CRCPG, your therapist may suggest additional reading materials based on your specific needs. What follows is a list of books and workbooks that many clients have found helpful. If you have any questions about any of the following materials, please feel free to ask your therapist.
Books and Workbooks
1. The Feeling Good Handbook. David Burns. Plume Printing, 1999.
2. Understanding Depression. J. Raymond DePaulo Jr., M.D. Wiley Printing, 2002.
3. Depressed & Anxious. Thomas Marra, Ph.D. Raincoast Books, 2004.
4. The Depression Workbook: A Guide For Living With Depression and Manic Depression. Mary Ellen Copeland. New Harbinger, 1992.
5. Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing The Way You Think. Dennis Greenberger, Ph.D. and Christine Padesky, Ph.D. The Guilford Press, 1995.
6. Depression & It’s Treatment. John H. Greist, MD & James W. Jefferson, MD. Warner Books, 1984.
1. Triumph Over Fear . . . Hope for People with Anxiety, Panic Attacks, and Phobias. Jerilyn Ross, Bantam Books, 1994.
2. The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. Edmund J. Bourne, Ph.D. New Harbinger, 1995
3. Brain Lock: Free Yourself From Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior. Jeffrey Schwartz, M.D. First Regan Books/Harper Perennial, 1997.
4. Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life. Barbara and Gregory Markaway, Ph.D. St. Martin’s Griffin. 2003.
5. Getting Rid of Anxiety and Stress. Toby Rice Drews. Bridge Publishing, Inc., 1982.
C. Trauma/Recovery from Abuse
1. The Courage to Heal. A Guide For Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse. Ellen Bass and Laura Davis. Harper & Row, 1988.
2. Coping with Trauma. Jon G. Allen, Ph.D. American Psychiatric Press, 1995.
3. The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook: A Guide to Healing, Recovery, and Growth. Glenn R. Schiraldi, Ph.D. McGraw-Hill, 2000.
4. The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse. Wendy Maltz. Harper Perennial, 1992.
5. A Door of Hope. Jan Frank. Here’s Life Publishers, 1987.
6. Healing for Damaged Emotions. David A. Seamands. SP Publications; 1981, 1991.
7. Healing the Shame That Binds You. John Bradshaw. Health Communications, inc.: 1988.
D. Emotional Intensity
1. I Hate You, Don’t Leave Me. Jerold Kreisman, M.D. & Hal Straus. Harper Collins, 1991.
2. Stop Walking on Eggshells. Paul Mason, M.S. & Randi Kreger. New Harbinger, 1998.
E. Stress Reduction & Wellness
1. Full Catastrophe Living. Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D. Dell Publishing, 1990.
2. Spontaneous Healing. Andrew Weil, M.D. Ballantine Publishing, 1995.
3. Road Less Traveled. M. Scott Peck, MD. Simon & Schuster, NY 1978.
1. Old Loyalties – New Ties. Emily & John Visher. (For Blended Families)
2. How To Win as a Step-Family. Emily & John Visher. (For Blended Families)
3. Helping Children Cope with Divorce. Edward Teyber. Wiley Publishing, 2001.
4. Adult Children of Alcoholics. Janet Geringer Woititz. Health Communications, 1990.
5. The Good Divorce: Keeping Your Family Together When Your Marriage Comes Apart. Constance Ahron. Harper Collins, 1995.
6. Growing Through Divorce. Jim Smoke. Harvest House Publishers. 1985, 1986.
7. Couple Skills: Making Your Relationship Work. Matthew McKay, Patrick Fanning, Kim Paleg. New Harbinger, 1994.
8. Boundaries. Dr. Henry Coud & Dr. John Townsend. Zondervan Publishing House, 1992.
9. Codependent No More. Melody Beattie. Harper/Hazeldan, 1987.
10. Dance of Anger. Harriet Lerner, Ph.D. Harper Collins Publishers, 1985, 1997.
11. Friendship Factor. Alan Loy McGinnis. Augsburg Publishing House, 1979.
12. Love Must Be Tough. Dr. James C. Dobson. Word, Inc. 1983.
1. Defiant Children. Russell Barkley. Guilford Press. 1997
2. Raising Your Spirited Child. Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. Harper-Collins, 1991.
3. The Explosive Child. Ross Greene, Ph.D. Harper-Collins, 2001.
4. The Optimistic Child. Martin Seligman, Ph.D. Houghton Miffin, 1995.
5. The Bipolar Child. Demitri Papolos, M.D. & Janice Papolos. Broadway Books, 2002.
H. Attention Deficit Disorder
1. The Parent’s Guide to Attention Deficit Disorders. Stephen B. McCarney, Ed.D. & Anglea Marie Bauer, M.Ed. Hawthorne Press, 1995.
2. You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?!: A Self-Help Book for Adults With Attention-Deficit Disorder. Kate Kelly, Peggy Ramundo. Fireside, 1996.
1. Forgive and Forget. Lewis B. Smedes. Harper & Row. 1984.
2. Good Grief. Granger E. Westberg. Fortress Press, 1962, 1971.
Note: CRCPG provides the information on this page simply as a courtesy to you and is not responsible for any of the content, claims or representations of the resources contained on this page.